pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Itai <itai...@gmail.com>
Subject Rendering an image at a lower resolution
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2018 07:31:31 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to use PDFBox to show a preview of some PDFs containing very
large images (typically tens of thousands of pixels a side).
It seems PDFRenderer uses PDImage#toImage, which creates a BufferedImage at
the full resolution, regardless of the DPI or scale requested by
PDFRenderer.
This causes an issue, as the resulting BufferedImage is often too large to
fit in memory (>8GB), causing an OOM error.

Is there a way to get a scaled BufferedImage at a lower quality, without
first having to render/produce a full-resolution BufferedImage?

If not - where would I start if I needed to add such a feature?

Thanks,
Itai.