pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tamir Hassan <...@tamirhassan.com>
Subject Problem creating PDF with German text using embedded Type1 (PFB) font
Date Sat, 17 Feb 2018 21:58:14 GMT
Hi all,

I am having difficulties adding text using a PostScript Type1 font
(agaramond.pfb) when the text contains German characters.

I am using the latest release (2.0.8).

The problem seems to occur with e.g. the character "ä" (adieresis) and
other similar umlaut characters; it does not occur with "ß" (germandbls).

Using an embedded TTF seems to work fine but when I load the PFB like this:

InputStream pfbIn = new FileInputStream(fontFile);
font = new PDType1Font(document, pfbIn);

I get an encoding error whenever I try to print an "ä" to the page:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: U+00E4 ('adieresis') is not
available in this font AGaramond-Regular (generic: AGaramond-Regular)
encoding: built-in (Type 1)

If I specify a different encoding (WinANSI) when loading the font:

InputStream pfbIn = new FileInputStream(fontFile);
font = new PDType1Font(document, pfbIn, new WinAnsiEncoding());

then the exception is not thrown, but I just have an empty space in
place of the "ä".

I have tried to look into the code, in particular I have played around
with the class PDType1FontEmbedder.

When the FontBox object Type1Font is created by the parser in the
following line of code:

type1 = Type1Font.createWithPFB(pfbBytes);

I have tried to look into the charstring dictionary:

type1.getCharStringsDict()

and, by iterating through the set keys, can see that "adieresis" is in
there.

However, when using the default encoding from the font (i.e. by passing
"null" to the PDType1FontEmbedder), the resulting encoding that is
obtained by the following line of code:

fontEncoding = Type1Encoding.fromFontBox(type1.getEncoding());

does not contain "adieresis" (or other "compound" characters), but just
"dieresis"

Can someone help me out here? Is this a bug? Should I submit a JIRA issue?

Thanks,
Tamir