pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Mismatch between XeLaTeX fontspec and Apache PDFBox
Date Sun, 28 Jan 2018 12:31:03 GMT
Hi,
I can only answer about PDFBox... no PDF has anything bold. Both have
something italic. The PDF without fontspec doesn't have the "é". The PDF
with fontspec can be converted to HTML with "ExtractText -html" and this
is the HTML I get:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

</head> <body> <div style="page-break-before:always;
page-break-after:always"><div><p>Wiel, J&#233;r&#244;me aan de (2018).

&#8216;Irish intelligence, 1880s-1922&#8217;. In: <i>Cultures of
Intelligence in the Era of the World Wars</i>. Ed. by Simon Ball et al.

So the italic is there.

Tilman

Am 25.01.2018 um 16:47 schrieb Flynn, Peter:
> I have a very large number of bibliographic references in BiBTeX format which we need
to make available individually in formal reference formats within web pages (as HTML, not
as embedded images).

> I experimented a couple of years ago with Apache PDFBox and found that it could extract
the text from a PDF and preserve bold and italics. This would let us use LaTeX to typeset
each PDF in the required format, and then have PDFBox extract the text with bold and italics
in all the right places.

> Regular pdflatex with old-style bibtex is insufficient, as it doesn't handle all the
UTF-8 characters we need, and the reference formats supported are out of date; XeLaTeX with
biblatex and biber do all this just fine...but...

> ...if I do this using the fontspec package (the standard way to provide XeLaTeX with
the font data for handling UTF-8 diacritics), the output has all accented characters, but
PDFBox doesn't recognise the bold or italic. If I omit the fontspec package, PDFBox can get
the bold and italics, but XeLaTeX will omit the diacritics.

> Examples of both PDFs and both HTML files are at http://epu.ucc.ie/latex/pdfbox-xelatex-fontspec-error.zip
>
> As I don't know the internals either of fontspec or of PDFBox, I am hoping that someone
on the pdfbox mailing list or the comp.text.tex newsgroup may have a lead.