pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Soon Keong Tan <tansk.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Issue regarding the slow image rendering for certain PDF file using PDFToImage
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2018 06:10:37 GMT
My team is having some problems with the image rendering speed of certain
PDF file. For most of the pdf files we are handling, it only took seconds
to create an image of the file but for certain pdf, it took more than 6
minutes.

We have tried the following version of pdfbox-app-x.x.x.jar, and it seems
that 1.8.x is more efficient at rendering the image.
 (1)1.8.13  - 1.5 mins
 (2)2.0.5 - 6.18 mins
 (3)2.0.8 -  6.35 mins
However, due to the problem that we had with some files where some Japanese
characters were not correctly rendered using 1.8.13, we had to use 2.0.5 as
the production version.

I tried inserting some debug code in the PDFToImage class (ver2.0.5) to
determine the bottle-necked process, and it seems
"renderer.renderImageWithDPI" was taking up most of the time.

Java version: 1.7.0_72
PDFBox version: 2.0.5
Command line: java -jar ./pdfbox-app-2.0.5.jar PDFToImage -time -startPage
1 -endPage 1 ./sample_slow.pdf
File: https://goo.gl/WEMM2X