pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Self <matt...@mself.com>
Subject Kerning?
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2017 00:28:11 GMT
Hello,

    I have a newbie question about kerning in PDFs.

When rendering text from a PDF, is kerning info from the font used to
adjust the positions of the rendered characters automatically?

Or do apps that write PDF files need to read the kerning data and
individually adjust the positions of the characters when writing the PDF?

If the latter, I see PDPageContentStream.showText() for creating a Tj
operator, but I don't see a method like showTextWithSpacing() for creating
a TJ operator (which is what I presume you would need to do).

Is that something I could add, or is there a reason it hasn't been added
already?

Thank you.