pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Scott Coldwell <scott.coldw...@hrworx.com>
Subject Re: Problem with appearance construction when newline character included in field value
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2017 08:59:44 GMT
Maruan,

For the most part we can manipulate the forms. So we can match up html textareas with the
multiline option as long as the auto font size works. I totally understand your point about
adobe's behavior vs itext. For the time being, we've removed all multiline options from fields
with auto font size and added code to replace newline characters with a space.

Thanks,
Scott

> On Aug 25, 2017, at 2:17 AM, Maruan Sahyoun <sahyoun@fileaffairs.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Scott,
>
>> Am 25.08.2017 um 00:47 schrieb Scott Coldwell <scott.coldwell@hrworx.com>:
>>
>> Maruan,
>>
>> Letting adobe acrobat fix the appearance isn’t an option for us.  We have to flatten
the forms when we generate them.  There is also the potential of users entering text with
newlines for remark/comment fields on some of our forms.  I suppose I can temporarily replace
all newlines with a space from any values before we set it on the field, but this isn’t
ideal.  Is there a plan to correct the appearance generation at some point?  I’m happy to
open an issue if there isn’t one already.  I’m also happy to look at the itext code to
see what they’re doing since this all worked fine with itext.

> I've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-3910 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-3911
where PDFBOX-3911 is about handling your case.

> As for inspecting how iText is handling that I'm not so interested in that. What I typically
do is look at the result Adobe generates and try to replicate that. Is it possible for you
to change the field properties or is the form done by someone else.

> How would a user enter multiline text in Adobe Reader is the field is set to single line
only?

> BR
> Maruan
>

>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>>
>>> On Aug 24, 2017, at 2:19 PM, Maruan Sahyoun <sahyoun@fileaffairs.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Scott,

itext and I was trying to keep the changes to a minimum and the newline is part of their standard
signature content.

>>> I looked at the form and I'm a little uncertain what to do as there are two options:
>>>
>>> a) keeping everything as is and setting NeedAppearances to true to enforce Adobe
to generate the appearance stream there is a multiline output
>>> b) opening the form in Adobe Reader without setting NeedAppearances and manually
editing the text there is a single line output i.e. the newline is not taken into account
>>> c) setting the field property to multiline and generating the appearance stream
using Adobe Reader there is multiline output but the font is much smaller than would be with
option a)

>>> So for a single line field the question is if we'd like to replikate a) or b)
>>> For multiline - as I've already written before - we currently do not support
auto scaling text

>>> The onyl short term fix as of now is to either drop the newline or - if the user
is using Adobe Reader or Acrobat to fill the form - set PDAcroForm.setNeedAppearances(true).
The later will be a change to the document so even if the user is not changing anything he
will be asked to save the form when closing.

<mailto:scott.coldwell@hrworx.com>>:

> [...]
off. Different results with the multiline flag as to what was visible without focus, but neither
was correct.

size auto we don't scale the font but set it to 12pt. So this is a known limitation.

important to have the newline as part of the data?

includes a “\n”.  The field does not show the value properly until you click into the
field.  This has been an issue in the past with the appearance construction so that’s my
guess as to what’s happening.  Additional note, the field is set to auto font size (0).
 I’m going to file a bug report, but is there a workaround I can use in the meantime to
correct the appearance?