pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Gary Grosso <gary.gro...@oberontech.com>
Subject RE: making my PDF not say it's changed when just viewed
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2017 21:09:09 GMT
Well, fools rush in where angels fear to tread... assuming my project manager thinks we should.

I see now. I was looking in the wrong place. It's this piece I need to focus on:

AP: (1)
-<> N: (7) [47 0 R] /T:XObject /S:Form
    +[]BBox: (4)
    84 FormType: 1
    +[]Matrix: (6)
    +<>Resources: (2)
     / Subtype: Form
     / Type: Xobject

Here's an image showing the two files in PDFDebugger side by side:

http://aapro.net/PDF/Image1.jpg

In case anyone else wants to make sense of this... that file may not be there in a few months
though.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Tilman Hausherr [mailto:THausherr@t-online.de]
Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 3:34 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: making my PDF not say it's changed when just viewed

Am 08.08.2017 um 21:18 schrieb Gary Grosso:
> Hi Tilman.
>
> Interesting. I had this:
>
> acroForm.setNeedAppearances(true);

Yeah I know this effect when you do that.

> but it didn't seem to make any difference in how anything looked, and made me get the
prompt even when the code opened and closed the file without adding any actual widgets, whereas
without that statement at least it doesn’t result in getting the prompt if no widgets are
even added. So I commented it out.

> It's true that I don't attempt to add an appearance stream except for the case where
I really do put an image on a button.

> Are you saying there's no recourse to avoiding the save prompt other than adding appearance
streams for everything?

Yes indeed. For some of the field types where we don't have an appearance stream you may have
weird effects.

> I fear I am not understanding something about appearance streams in
> general. (Reread Rosenthal?)

Like I said... it's tricky. If you know the sizes of your fields, i.e.
that these stay the same, you can open the file with Adobe Reader, save, open with PDFDebugger
and then copy the structure / contents.

Tilman

> Thanks,
> Gary

DC) and do nothing, when I try to quit it prompts us to save changes. We would like for this
prompt not to happen.
> You didn't share the relevant code (just "do stuff"), but I suspect you added acroform
stuff without  appearance streams / set that appearance streams are to be set.