pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Nathan Artz <nartz...@gmail.com>
Subject Text Bounding Boxes and Reflow
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2017 23:47:59 GMT
Hi -

My ultimate goal is to be able to properly replace text and 'reflow' it - I
know this isn't handled out of the box, but there are a few subproblems I
am trying to first solve that would help me towards this goal. Also, my
text reflowing does not need to be perfect! Just 'kind of work. I am doing
my best to replicate what Acrobat does when you click 'Edit' text as my
attempt, specifically:

A. Like in acrobat when a user clicks 'edit' pdf, it seems that contiguous
areas of text are put together into a single editable textbox, and text
reflows within this text box. Does PDFBOX (or other suggested libraries)
have heuristics or other ideas on how to create these 'paragraph' like
bounding boxes?

B. Acrobat, for instance, will reflow and refit text naturally put inside
of a Form Text Field. Does PDFBOX support form text fields (that presumably
would fit/reflow the text inside of them?) and be able to 'flatten' it?

I'm really looking to explore what possibly higher level libraries exist
that could help towards this goal. I'm trying avoid having to, say, read in
all the quads of the text runs and come up with heuristics that determine
what is an isn't "contiguous" text myself.

Thanks!

Nate