pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From "Hesham G." <heshamgne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to write arabic text in a pdf file
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2017 14:33:44 GMT
I remember this bug was covering this issue:

Best regards ,
Hesham

Included message :

Hi,

> Am 13.06.2017 um 15:22 schrieb MELIQUE Denis (MORPHO)
> <denis.melique@morpho.com>:
>
> Classification SAFRAN IDENTITY AND SECURITY :INDUSTRY CONFIDENTIAL
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm using pdfbox version 2.0.6 on Linux 7.
> My Java program reads a pdf template file and fill some areas (image and
> text) to produce a new pdf document .
> There is English text written LeftToRight and Arabic text to be written
> RightToLeft.
>
> Here is an extract of  template document loading and configuration :
> {code}
>            fontStream = classLoader.getResourceAsStream("arialbd.ttf");
>
>            logger.debug("Loading PDF template file ");
>            doc = PDDocument.load(pdfTemplateStream);
>
>            logger.debug("Loading font file into the document");
>            PDFont font =  PDType0Font.load(doc, fontStream);
>
>            // Will edit the page 0
>            PDPage page = doc.getPage(0);
>            doc.setDocumentInformation(docInfo);
>
>            PDPageContentStream content = new PDPageContentStream(doc,
> page,  PDPageContentStream.AppendMode.APPEND, false, true);
>
>            content.setFont(font, fontSize); ...
> {code}
>

> Here is an extract of adding text :
> {code}
>        content.beginText();
>        content.showText(text);
>        content.endText();
> {code}
>

> My problem is that the Arabic text is not printed correctly into the pdf
> document, I do not know Arab language so it is hard to see what is wrong
> but my feeling is that the text is written in a wrong order...
> For example the following text composed of  'Single' + a slash +  the Arab
> translation of the word 'Single' :  Single / زيارة واحدة Is printed like
> this : Single / ةرايز ةدحاو
>
> Any Idea what I should do to fix this ?

writing Arabic text is not supported in the current version of PDFBox as are
other languages which require RTL and/or complex script.

It's not only about reversing the order of the string but selecting the
correct shape for a character based on it's position within a word.

BR
Maruan