pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From David Patterson <patterd20...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: More questions about page iteration
Date Tue, 16 May 2017 13:21:41 GMT
They show up when I print the PDF or open it to read it. I want to extract
the Table of Contents from each of > 100 PDFs so I can make a super-Table
of Contents and allow users to search for the document they need to read.
(The file name of the desired contents is not obvious, and so with a
consolidated Table of Contents, a more novice user can find the content
they want to read and open the correct document to see the text. These are
Standard Operating Procedures for a 24x7 production facility and the
operators might need to review what to do in case of a problem.

I was hoping that in the transition from Word (where the documents are
authored, the saving as a PDF and combining them into Portfolios some part
of the process would have identified it as a page label, but I guess that
did not happen.

I'm able to find the text of that string since it only occurs in the footer
of the page.

Thanks.

Dave Patterson

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de>
wrote:

> Am 16.05.2017 um 14:35 schrieb David Patterson:
>
>> Tilman,
>>
>> The code I tried is:
>>
>> byte[] bytes = // content of file as a byte array
>> PDDocument pdDocument = PDDocument.load( bytes );
>> PDDocumentCatalog cat2 = pdDocument.getDocumentCatalog();
>> PDPageLabels pageLabels = cat2.getPageLabels();
>> if ( pageLabels == null ) {
>> System.out.println( "Page labels missing " );
>> }
>>

>> I'm getting "Page labels missing" on each document.
>>

> Then lets go back to the beginning. You mentioned "I've got page numbers
> like "TOC-1", "TOC-2", "Page 1"". Where did these show up?
>
> Tilman
>

>> I have no idea of, or control over the process used to convert a Word file
>> into a PDF. I just inherited a bunch of PDFs that I'm trying to interpret.
>>
>> Dave Patterson
>>
>> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 1:57 PM, Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Am 15.05.2017 um 19:11 schrieb David Patterson:
>>>
>>> Alas, after testing with my documents, the PageLabels is null. :-(

>>> try
>>> with PDFDebugger, it will show the labels if there are some.
>>>
>>> Tilman
>>>

>>> Thank you for the help and encouragement.

PDF

I've