pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From "Vassallo, Fabio" <Fabio.Vassa...@wuerth-phoenix.com>
Subject Embedded vs. non-embedded fonts (PDFBox & iText)
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2017 10:01:35 GMT
Good morning.

I'm currently using PDFBox to build documents for the company I'm working for, and I need
to print strings with generic character, also non in the WinAnsiEncoding range (e.g. "ł").

And I shouldn't embed fonts in the PDF documents.

If I use the internal PDFBox fonts (e.g. PDType1Font.HELVETICA) apparently no fonts are than
embedded in the document.
So I assume that the document, when displayed, refers to Fonts present in the PC (Arial?);
nevertheless PDPageContentStream.showText() throws an IllegalArgumentException for such "special"
characters.

Using iText I could use the following call:
   Font myFont = com.itextpdf.text.FontFactory.getFont(name, size, style, color);
Using variable "myFont", now I can refer to the font with no font embedding, and I can use
also non-WinAnsiEncoding characters.

Is there any way or workaround in PDFBox to generate a file with no embedded files and with
"special" characters?

If not, will it be possible in one of the next PDFBox releases?

Thank you very much in advance,
Fabio Vassallo

Fabio Vassallo
Product Development (CIS)