pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Embedded vs. non-embedded fonts
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2017 16:22:19 GMT
Am 10.03.2017 um 15:16 schrieb Vassallo, Fabio:

> Good afternoon.
>
> I'm currently using PDFBox to build documents for the company I’m
> working for, and I need to print strings with generic character, also
> non in the WinAnsiEncoding range (e.g. “ł”).
>
> And I shouldn’t embed fonts in the PDF documents.
>
> If I use the internal PDFBox fonts (e.g. PDType1Font.HELVETICA)
> apparently no fonts are than embedded in the document.

Because these 14 fonts are expected to be rendered by every PDF viewer.

> So I assume that the document, when displayed, refers to Fonts present
> in the PC (Arial?); nevertheless PDPageContentStream.showText() throws
> an IllegalArgumentException for such “special” characters.
>
> Is there any way or workaround to generate a file with no embedded
> files and with “special” characters?

It might be possible to create your own different encoding as described
in page 264 of the PDF specification, and delete the embedded font
later. I haven't tested it and won't do it, and here's why: you should
embed your fonts. Not embedding might result in weird effects with some
viewers, e.g. getting different glyphs, squares or nothing at all. So it
would be several hours of work to create a bad PDF file with some code
that is hard to understand.

Are you aware that you can embed subsets? These are much smaller than
full fonts. Use PDType0Font.load().

Tilman