pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: A Dumb Acroform Question
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:38:47 GMT
Hi,

> Am 30.03.2017 um 15:54 schrieb Evan Williams <evan.williams@zapprx.com>:
>
> I would like to change default font of every field in an existing PDF
> form.This suggests to me that I should change the default appearance of the
> acroform and, so be on the safe side (since I am not the author of these
> forms), change the default appearance of each PDTextField (I don't care
> about choice fields &c.)
>
> All of the examples that I have been able to find of changing field
> appearances are PDFBox 1.8 examples that  get the COS Dictionary, mess
> around with it and reset the field dictionary AND THEN CREATE A NEW
> INSTANCE OF THE FIELD (e.g. java - How to set the text of a PDTextbox to a
> color? - Stack Overflow
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22073137/how-to-set-the-text-of-a-pdtextbox-to-a-color/22082301#22082301>),
> which presents me with practical and aesthetic problems. The explanation
> given for this is 'The field variable has to be renewed in between because
> `PDVariableText` stores the default appearance in a hidden member during
> initialization'. I would really like to avoid doing this if I don't have to.
>
> I would think that, in 2.0, I could get away with something like:
>

> *     field.setDefaultAppearance("/Helv 0 Tf 0 g");*

you can get away with that IF there is also a font entry with the name /Helv in the AcroForm
Default Resources.

So a more complete solution looks something like this:

// load the new font which shall be used for the form fields
// we use a TT font here but could also use other types of fonts
// if unicode support is needed stay with the sample font type
PDType0Font font = PDType0Font.load(doc, …);

PDAcroForm form = doc.getDocumentCatalog().getAcroForm();
PDResources resources = form.getDefaultResources();
String fontName = resources.add(font).getName();
String defaultAppearanceString =  "/" + fontName + " 12 Tf 0 g";
form.setDefaultResources(resources);
PDTextField field = (PDTextField) form.getField(...);
field.setDefaultAppearance(da);

Hope there are no typos.

BR
Maruan