pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Karl Heinz Kremer <...@khk.net>
Subject Re: Dynamic Table generation using PDFBox
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2017 17:44:12 GMT
Actually, if you know what you are doing, you can create the XFA structure
from scratch. The API documentation is available. Then all you need to do
is create the wrapper PDF using COS level functions, and add the XFA code
in the correct place. However, I would not recommend doing that. That's why
we have applications that can create XFA documents based on the layout you
create in a graphic UI.

Also, you need to consider if it's worth doing that when Adobe is actually
turning away from XFA. Your documents would have to be edited in Adobe
Acrobat or the free Adobe Reader on the desktop. Your chances of finding a
mobile application that can fill out your form are very small to
nonexistent.

I advice my clients to stay away from XFA if at all possible. Yes, you
cannot have tables that automatically expand (and other more dynamic form
elements), but the chances that somebody can actually fill the form are
much better.

Karl Heinz Kremer
PDF Acrobatics Without a Net
PDF Software Development, Training and More...

khk@khk.net
http://www.khkonsulting.com