pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Harry Yoon <harryp...@outlook.com>
Subject Re: PDF/X-1a?
Date Sat, 21 Jan 2017 07:40:20 GMT
Hi Tilman, Thanks for the answer.

My knowledge of PDF is rather limited (I've been researching only for the last few days),
but yes, I understand that I have to create a standards-compliant doc using the APIs. It seems
that the requirements for PDF/X-1a are generally easy to satisfy, maybe except for CMYK colors.
I am not sure why it is harder than other requirements, but I hear that ghostscript tool ps2pdf,
for instance, cannot currently convert a ps/pdf to a fully compliant PDF/X-1a pdf because
of this CMYK requirement. I presume that PDFBox does not have such limitations?

Just to follow up, can PDFBox be used to convert an existing pdf to PDF/X-1a conformant pdf
(in addition to generating a PDF/X-1a conformant pdf from scratch)? If so, is there a facility
in PDFBox to make this task easier? Or, is it just a manual process going through the original
pdf (after parsing) and re-generating output pdf (enforcing the requirements)?

Thanks,

~Harry

________________________________
From: Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de>
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2017 7:06:19 AM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: PDF/X-1a?

Am 21.01.2017 um 07:38 schrieb Tilman Hausherr:
> Am 21.01.2017 um 00:11 schrieb Harry Yoon:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I'm new to PDFBox. I'm currently trying to figure out how to generate
>> PDF/X-1a conformant PDF using PDFBox. I found some references related
>> to PDF/A validation using PDFBox, but none pertinent to PDF/X.
>>

>> Is it possible to use PDFBox to generate PDF/X-1a compliant PDF docs?
>> Or, at least to validate PDF files against PDF/X-1a standards?
>
> Yes it is possible to use PDFBox to generate PDF/A-1a compliant docs.
> Just read the standard ( this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/X
> gives a preview) and respect the requirements. No, PDFBox doesn't have
> a validator for that.

To clarify this -
PDFBox is rather low level, i.e. you have to know a bit about PDF
itself. There isn't switch in PDFBox that sets PDF/A-1a compatibility.
To see what I mean, have a look at the CreatePDFA.java example. This
isn't what you need, but it shows what extra work is to be done for that
standard, e.g. output intents and XMP.

More on PDF/A here
https://www.pdfa.org/pdfa-faq/

Tilman