pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From "Clark, Raymond C" <Raymond.C.Cl...@ehi.com>
Subject RE: What causes "Building on-disk font cache"
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:12:14 GMT
Thank you, I put in the request to do the upgrade.  Being a large company there is an approval
process :).

In the meantime I am getting fonts loaded on my server.  How do I configure my webapp to tell
PDFBox the folder that the fonts are in?  What configuration setting do I set or what method
do I call?

Thank you,
Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: Tilman Hausherr [mailto:THausherr@t-online.de]
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 3:03 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: What causes "Building on-disk font cache"

Please update to 2.0.4 and test again. Even better, try the current -SNAPSHOT.

Tilman

Am 18.01.2017 um 18:43 schrieb Clark, Raymond C:
> Each time I go to create a new PDF (IE each request that comes in) I do the following.
 PDFGenerator.java:920 is in the method below.

> 	private Map<String, PDFont> buildDefaultFontMap() {
> 		Map<String, PDFont> pdfBoxFonts = new HashMap<>();
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("COURIER", PDType1Font.COURIER);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("COURIER_BOLD", PDType1Font.COURIER_BOLD);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("COURIER_BOLD_OBLIQUE", PDType1Font.COURIER_BOLD_OBLIQUE);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("COURIER_OBLIQUE", PDType1Font.COURIER_OBLIQUE);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("HELVETICA", PDType1Font.HELVETICA);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("HELVETICA_BOLD", PDType1Font.HELVETICA_BOLD);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("HELVETICA_BOLD_OBLIQUE", PDType1Font.HELVETICA_BOLD_OBLIQUE);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("HELVETICA_OBLIQUE", PDType1Font.HELVETICA_OBLIQUE);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("SYMBOL", PDType1Font.SYMBOL);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("TIMES_BOLD", PDType1Font.TIMES_BOLD);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("TIMES_BOLD_ITALIC", PDType1Font.TIMES_BOLD_ITALIC);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("TIMES_ITALIC", PDType1Font.TIMES_ITALIC);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("TIMES_ROMAN", PDType1Font.TIMES_ROMAN);
> 		pdfBoxFonts.put("ZAPF_DINGBATS", PDType1Font.ZAPF_DINGBATS);
> 		return pdfBoxFonts;
> 	}
>
> I am using version:
> 		<dependency>
> 			<groupId>org.apache.pdfbox</groupId>
> 			<artifactId>pdfbox</artifactId>
> 			<version>2.0.1</version>
> 		</dependency>
>
> I am only using standard fonts that I thought were supplied by PDFBox.
> 	"HELVETICA"
> 	"HELVETICA_BOLD"
> 	"TIMES_BOLD"
>
> Thank you,
> Ray

 It was working fine, then I got this exception and from then on it failed to create the PDFs.
 Why was it able to create PDFs for a while and then decided it needed to write the cache
to disk?

>> I'm wondering if I'm not closing something or cleaning something up that is causing
this.  As I said, it worked fine for the first hundred or so and then started failing.
> Can you reproduce the effect without using Tomcat? And post that code
> here? The "Building on-disk font cache, this may take a while" message
> should come only once, when PDFBox needs to search what fonts are
> available on the system. Here it does this when creating the ZAPF
> Dingbats type 1 font. (If the number is correct)
>
> What happens at
>
> PDFGenerator.java:920 ?
>

> About your stack trace:
>
> PDType1Font.java:76 - that is the initialization of
> PDType1Font.ZAPF_DINGBATS
>
> PDType1Font.java:115 - can't find. Did you mention what version you're using?
>
> "Finished building on-disk font cache, found 0 fonts" - do you have 0 fonts on your system?
>

> Tilman
>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Ray

solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may contain
confidential and privileged information protected by law. If you received this e-mail in error,
any review, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of the e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies from your system.