pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Olaf Drümmer <olafl...@callassoftware.com>
Subject Re: PDF/X-1a?
Date Sat, 21 Jan 2017 10:10:48 GMT
Hi all,

first: everyone should try to be clear whether they are discussing PD/A-1 (archiving PDF)
or PDF/X-1a (using/exchanging PDF as print ready file in prepress) here.

Creating PDF:
- whenever creating a PDF from scratch, one has good control over what to put inside the PDF,
and how to do it. Thus, creating both PDF/A-1 or PDF/X-1a can be achieved with reasonable
effort. E.g. if RGB is not allowed at all in PDF/X-1a, use DeviceCMYK instead - if material
to be used (an image) is in RGB, a color conversion has to be done to the image before putting
it inside PDF.

Converting existing PDF:
- here things can be arbitrarily complex and challenging. As one has no control over how the
PDF was created, anything could be inside it. Both PDF/A-1 and PDF/X-1a disallow lots of things.
For example, both disallow transparency. Turning a PDF with transparency into a PDF that still
looks (colors?) and behaves the same (text extraction?) but does not any longer use transparency
is far from being trivial.

While PDFBox will provide quite a nice and extensive toolbox for creating, reading and modifying
PDF, a lot of effort will have to go into implementation work in addition to and on top of
PDFBox for any decent conversion from arbitrary PDF to PDF/A-1 or PDF/X-1a. Think man years
if you do it yourself, or consider throwing in additional tools.

Olaf

> On 21 Jan 2017, at 08:40, Harry Yoon <harryplus@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tilman, Thanks for the answer.
>

> My knowledge of PDF is rather limited (I've been researching only for the last few days),
but yes, I understand that I have to create a standards-compliant doc using the APIs. It seems
that the requirements for PDF/X-1a are generally easy to satisfy, maybe except for CMYK colors.
I am not sure why it is harder than other requirements, but I hear that ghostscript tool ps2pdf,
for instance, cannot currently convert a ps/pdf to a fully compliant PDF/X-1a pdf because
of this CMYK requirement. I presume that PDFBox does not have such limitations?

> Just to follow up, can PDFBox be used to convert an existing pdf to PDF/X-1a conformant
pdf (in addition to generating a PDF/X-1a conformant pdf from scratch)? If so, is there a
facility in PDFBox to make this task easier? Or, is it just a manual process going through
the original pdf (after parsing) and re-generating output pdf (enforcing the requirements)?