pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Logan <John.Lo...@texture.com>
Subject Re: Identify not visible characters - Overlapped characters
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2016 06:22:19 GMT
Hi Paulo,

Is your layout analysis focused on extracting tabular data (records) from a PDF file?  Or
are you trying to handle more general layouts?

PDFBOX-2998 contains detailed discussion about enhancing the extraction algorithms, including
adding advanced layout analysis.  The argument against this is that it's very hard to simultaneously
achieve high quality and general applicability.

The current text extractor allows a developer to override the text output methods, but the
core is fairly monolithic.  It'd be nice to rework the text extraction so that the process
was more modular, and so that alternate processes could be include components from externally-developed
classes and libraries.  This way, PDFbox doesn't need to solve the general layout analysis
problem, but it would be easier to develop extensions that solve specific problems well.

For what it's worth, the way I currently approach it is to define a PdfTextFeatureExtractor
that extends PDFStreamEngine.  In particular, the new class overrides the showGlyph() method
to write a YAML file that contains detailed information for each rendered glyph.

>From there one can develop whatever one wants for layout extraction and all of the other
segmentation and classification tasks.  The core layout analysis techniques I chose for my
work are based on the paper "Two Geometric Algorithms for Layout Analysis", by Thomas Breuel.

Best regards,

John