pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Peter Murray-Rust <pm...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Identify not visible characters - Overlapped characters
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2016 09:26:03 GMT
Greetings,
Over the years we have developed PDF2SVG (
https://bitbucket.org/petermr/pdf2svg/overview) which is built on PDFBOX
1.8 and uses PageDrawer to capture the primitives (characters, paths,
images). It tries to carry out a faithful extraction without semantic loss
and there is effort on capturing styles, font-weights, and translating
non-standard characters to Unicode. This is particularly important for high
Unicode points such as mathematical symbols. There is emphasis on
downstream analysis (e.g. converting paths to SVG primitives such as
circles and rects). The main downstream emphasis is on scientific and
technical documents and translating the complete contents (text, diagrams,
images, tables, etc.) to semantic form.

You are welcome to try it and see whether it helps your problem. The
clipping paths are initially preserved, I think, but not output to the
final SVG

We haven't needed to change it for a year or so, but have wondered about
converting to PDFBOX2.0. Unfortunately as Manuel (hi!!) says this requires
considerable rewriting (and I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has
written the equivalent of capturing the PageDrawer output.

We are now being asked to process some documents in bulk and can process a
subset of tables, but we don't intend to duplicate complete Tabula
functionality.

P.