pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Daniel King <dk...@halogensoftware.com>
Subject RE: Supporting multiple languages, including CJK
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2016 13:32:17 GMT
I'm curious why you shouldn't load fonts that are scanned in by PDFBox using org.apache.fontbox.util.autodetect.FontDirFinder
and instead reference a hard coded system directory?

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hewson [mailto:john@jahewson.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 3:09 AM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: Supporting multiple languages, including CJK

> On 12 Oct 2016, at 05:24, Daniel King <dking@halogensoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to write text to a PDF in situations where I need to
> support multiple languages on a single PDF. This may include regular
> latin characters as well as CJK characters. I've tried many attempts
> to do this and have it load the character sets from the OS without
> much success. The farthest I have gotten is support latin characters,
> some russian and I believe Vietnamese characters founds on the
> embedded fonts example here
> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/pdfbox/trunk/examples/src/main/java/org/
> apache/pdfbox/examples/pdmodel/EmbeddedFonts.java?view=markup
>
> I'm doing a similar approach from the example but I believe I'm using
> the FileSystemFontProvider provided by the FontMappers class by doing
> something such as
>
> TrueTypeFont ttf = FontMappers.instance().getTrueTypeFont("Arial",
> null).getFont(); PDFont font = PDType0Font.load(signatureDocument,
> ttf.getOriginalData());

Don’t load fonts like this. Follow the approach from the EmbeddedFonts example and load
them from the filesystem.

> As I mentioned I seem to be able to support the text in the EmbeddedFonts example but
can't seem to determine how I can also support CJK. I’m currently using 2.0.2 of PDFBox
but could potentially upgrade to 2.0.3 if that would help at all.

If you have a font which supports CJK then PDFBox should be able to use it. I recommend “Arial
Unicode MS” as a good starting point, as it provides many more Unicode characters than plain
“Arial”. Google’s Noto fonts also provide a great selection of characters.

— John