pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Embedding video in PDF
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2016 19:30:57 GMT
Am 21.09.2016 um 19:15 schrieb Gary Grosso:
> Hi Tilman,
>
> Yes, that is correct. And the video has to be embedded, since some end-users may not
have an Internet connection. The video files they are starting with are MP4s.

> I figure I have to reserve the correct amount of vertical space in the original PDF to
get appropriate page breaks. Either the author will specify the height, or I'll have to have
other code to call something like ffmpeg or ImageMagick to get the height of the video. But
that's a separate issue.

> Then I figure I need to insert some "marker" in the PDF file that gives the location
of the MP4 on the system which publishes the PDF.

> So the piece I am asking about would be a Java program which would look through the PDF
for these markers, find the MP4 for each marker, and embed the video in the PDF at that location.

> Any thoughts on this matter are much appreciated. (I have to give an estimate of effort
-- for me giving estimates is the bane of computer programming.)

I can't answer that one... I just looked at the PDF specification and it
looks very painful. The best would be that you create such a PDF file
with Adobe Professional, then analyse it with PDFDebugger to see what
structures are needed.

Tilman

> Best regards,
> Gary

PDF, like embedding a youtube video - right?