pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: PDAcroForm.getFieldIterator() Question
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2016 05:09:18 GMT

> On 12 Sep 2016, at 12:38, Barry Neu <barry.neu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sure, it’s in the first email of this thread and here for convenience:
> PDF in question is here: 	 https://github.com/BarryNeu/shared <https://github.com/BarryNeu/shared>

Ah, ok, perfect. So looking at the file in PDFDebugger I see that the fields are in an arbitrary
order, for example
the first six fields are:

EE FIRST NAME
EE MIDDLE NAME
EE CHANGE CERTIFICATE
EE GENDER MALE
EE GENER FEMAEL
EE ADDRESS 2

Each field does however contain a ”Rect" entry which specifies its bounds, however with
complex forms like
this it’s not obvious how to map that back to an order.

Worse still, many ”fields" on the form are not Acrobat form fields at all, so you have no
way to discover them.

— John

> Thank you.
>

>> On Sep 12, 2016, at 1:36 PM, John Hewson <john@jahewson.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 12 Sep 2016, at 10:17, Barry Neu <barry.neu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m trying to achieve the following.
>>> Client has forms approved by U.S. states where font must be Helvetica 9pt.
>>
>> Feel free to share a link to one of these forms and we can take a look.
>>
>> -- John
>>
>>> Some content to be populated on the forms does not fit in the field. In this
case there is a “footnote” such as "Addendum 1" populated in the field, and the actual
content for the field is populated on an addendum page merged as a separate page to the base
form. The addendum page references the numbered addendum(s) populated in the base form’s
fields.
>>> Ideally, Addendum 1, Addendum 2, and so on would be numbered left to right, top
to bottom in the fields of the form.
>>> Sounds like that is not possible without setting up some type of external ordering
of the fields on the form.

tree when creating fillable forms or otherwise?

The order of the fields in the AcroForms fields array and the order how they are tabbed on
screen when a user filled the form are not related!

"walks all fields in the field tree, in order”.

occur in the field tree. This has no relation to where fields appear on the page.