pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: Font problem
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2016 17:42:41 GMT

> On 5 Aug 2016, at 09:29, Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> Am 05.08.2016 um 12:20 schrieb Jürgen Uhl:
>> I'm having problems writing a pdf document from elements of a previously read document.
Everything works fine, except when I call showText on a PDPageContentStream where I previously
set the font with "out.setFont(textState.getFont(), textState.getFontSize())" (see the INFORMATION
log) and the font is ComicSansMS or ArialBlack. "textState" is (a clone from) the state from
the previously read document. Writing text with Helvetica or Times-Roman works fine.

>> INFORMATION: set font PDTrueTypeFont RXNQOL+ComicSansMS,Bold/18.0 embedded
>> SEVERE: error writing <w>U+0077 is not available in this font's encoding: built-in
(TTF)

> Most likely, the cause is that you're using a font subset. "RXNQOL+" means that it is
a subset. So there is no easy solution.

Yes, U+0077 is the letter “w”, which is apparently not present in this particular font
subset.

I’d recommend writing any new text using a new font created from a TTF file, not an existing
font.
That way PDFBox will have access to all the characters you need.

— John