pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: PDField - How to calculate the pixel capacity of a text field?
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2016 20:51:19 GMT
Am 13.06.2016 um 22:36 schrieb Barry Neu:
> Thank you for the reply.
> I could store meta data about the fields’ capacity as a last resort. However, there
are about 50 different forms to work with and the number will continue to grow.

> Including Tilman’s reply here:
> 	"Calculate the width of the /Rectangle. 1 unit = 1/72 inch.”
>
> Are the /Rect coordinates represented in the following order?
> Left rectangle boundary, Top, Right, Bottom
>
> So, 91.095 - 51.855 = 39.24/72s inch wide (or a little over a 1/2 inch)??
>
> And, how does one get to the /Rect data?

Get the widgets of the field

PDField.getWidgets(). Usually there is only one (unless you have several
widgets, i.e. that the field appears several times in the PDF. So do
this call:

getWidgets().get(0).getRectangle().getWidth()

What is in the PDF shouldn't matter, unless for debugging. I.e. don't
try to parse the PDF yourself.

I suggest you have a look at the examples in the source download,
especially in org.apache.pdfbox.examples.interactive.form.

Tilman

> I have a debug session open in Eclipse but am not seeing the /Rect data in ether the
PDField or PDAcroForm.

>> On Jun 13, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If the form isn't changing, can you just check out the field
>> definition in the PDF doc?  Here's one from the PDF form I'm working
>> with:
>>
>> << /Type /Annot /T (SlotsTotal 19) /V () /Rect [ 51.855 457.452 91.095 478.332
>> ] /DV () /FT /Tx /DA (/Helvetica 12 Tf 0 g) /F 4 /MK 1972 0 R /Q 1 /Subtype
>> /Widget >>
>>
>> The /Rect units aren't in pixels but I assume the text width
>> calculation would be the same so it would work out.
>>
>> My PDF was originally a Linearized mess but I opened it and saved it
>> in Preview on OS X and then all the form elements came out in plain
>> text which made it easy to inspect in a text editor.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>       Aaron
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Barry Neu <barry.neu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to calculate the pixel width of a text field on a fillable PDF?
>>> If so, is there an example available or where can I look to research?
>>>
>>> Some context:
>>> I’m working with PDFBox 2.0.
>>> Data for a fillable form is collected in a web user interface. If the value for
a given field exceeds the field capacity on the form, the value should be populated on an
addendum form. The font size of the field cannot scale down below a particular value.

>>> The font and font size are known in advance so the length of the Value can be
calculated. But I need to know the pixel capacity of the field to know if the value will “fit”.