pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: ExtractImage TIFF
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 05:12:47 GMT
Am 20.06.2016 um 23:35 schrieb Gordon Schneider:
> I am using the PDFBox 2.0.2 ExtractImage command. I get the message "No ImageWrite found
for 'tiff' format". Are there any intentions of adding the ability to extract a tiff image
in the future?

The message means that you should add jai_imageio.jar in your classpath,
see the dependencies page. That jar is not included due to license reasons.

In theory, we could bundle the twelvemonkeys package, but the "write
tiff part" hasn't been tested yet by us (although it's probably good).

Technically, there is no "ability to extract tiff images" because there
are no tiff images in PDFs (unless maybe as file attachments). There are
images that are compressed in a CCITT format that is very similar to the
compression format used in TIFFs but without TIIFF header. We have been
able to extract these for years (coincidentally, we are now using two
modified files from twelvemonkeys), and offer to save these as tiff
because TIFF has the best compression format for b/w images.

I hope this answer the question somewhat...

Tilman