pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Barry Neu <barry....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PDField - How to calculate the pixel capacity of a text field?
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2016 20:36:33 GMT
Thank you for the reply.
I could store meta data about the fields’ capacity as a last resort. However, there are
about 50 different forms to work with and the number will continue to grow.

Including Tilman’s reply here:
	"Calculate the width of the /Rectangle. 1 unit = 1/72 inch.”

Are the /Rect coordinates represented in the following order?
Left rectangle boundary, Top, Right, Bottom

So, 91.095 - 51.855 = 39.24/72s inch wide (or a little over a 1/2 inch)??

And, how does one get to the /Rect data?
I have a debug session open in Eclipse but am not seeing the /Rect data in ether the PDField
or PDAcroForm.

> On Jun 13, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If the form isn't changing, can you just check out the field
> definition in the PDF doc?  Here's one from the PDF form I'm working
> with:
>
> << /Type /Annot /T (SlotsTotal 19) /V () /Rect [ 51.855 457.452 91.095 478.332
> ] /DV () /FT /Tx /DA (/Helvetica 12 Tf 0 g) /F 4 /MK 1972 0 R /Q 1 /Subtype
> /Widget >>
>
> The /Rect units aren't in pixels but I assume the text width
> calculation would be the same so it would work out.
>
> My PDF was originally a Linearized mess but I opened it and saved it
> in Preview on OS X and then all the form elements came out in plain
> text which made it easy to inspect in a text editor.
>
> Thanks,
>      Aaron
>

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Barry Neu <barry.neu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is it possible to calculate the pixel width of a text field on a fillable PDF?
>> If so, is there an example available or where can I look to research?
>>
>> Some context:
>> I’m working with PDFBox 2.0.
>> Data for a fillable form is collected in a web user interface. If the value for a
given field exceeds the field capacity on the form, the value should be populated on an addendum
form. The font size of the field cannot scale down below a particular value.

>> The font and font size are known in advance so the length of the Value can be calculated.
But I need to know the pixel capacity of the field to know if the value will “fit”.