pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Barry Neu <barry....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PDField - How to calculate the pixel capacity of a text field?
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2016 18:56:59 GMT
Thank you Tilman.

I was poking around trying to find where to get the Font and Font size for a PDTextField but
not having any luck.
Is it in the CosDictionary or what is the proper way to find those 2 pieces of information?

Really appreciate the support.

> On Jun 13, 2016, at 2:51 PM, Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> Am 13.06.2016 um 22:36 schrieb Barry Neu:
>> Thank you for the reply.
>> I could store meta data about the fields’ capacity as a last resort. However, there
are about 50 different forms to work with and the number will continue to grow.

>> Including Tilman’s reply here:
>> 	"Calculate the width of the /Rectangle. 1 unit = 1/72 inch.”
>>
>> Are the /Rect coordinates represented in the following order?
>> Left rectangle boundary, Top, Right, Bottom
>>
>> So, 91.095 - 51.855 = 39.24/72s inch wide (or a little over a 1/2 inch)??
>>
>> And, how does one get to the /Rect data?
>
> Get the widgets of the field
>
> PDField.getWidgets(). Usually there is only one (unless you have several widgets, i.e.
that the field appears several times in the PDF. So do this call:

> getWidgets().get(0).getRectangle().getWidth()
>
> What is in the PDF shouldn't matter, unless for debugging. I.e. don't try to parse the
PDF yourself.

> I suggest you have a look at the examples in the source download, especially in org.apache.pdfbox.examples.interactive.form.
>
> Tilman
>
>> I have a debug session open in Eclipse but am not seeing the /Rect data in ether
the PDField or PDAcroForm.

>>> On Jun 13, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If the form isn't changing, can you just check out the field
>>> definition in the PDF doc?  Here's one from the PDF form I'm working
>>> with:
>>>
>>> << /Type /Annot /T (SlotsTotal 19) /V () /Rect [ 51.855 457.452 91.095
478.332
>>> ] /DV () /FT /Tx /DA (/Helvetica 12 Tf 0 g) /F 4 /MK 1972 0 R /Q 1 /Subtype
>>> /Widget >>
>>>
>>> The /Rect units aren't in pixels but I assume the text width
>>> calculation would be the same so it would work out.
>>>
>>> My PDF was originally a Linearized mess but I opened it and saved it
>>> in Preview on OS X and then all the form elements came out in plain
>>> text which made it easy to inspect in a text editor.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>      Aaron

PDF?

for a given field exceeds the field capacity on the form, the value should be populated on
an addendum form. The font size of the field cannot scale down below a particular value.

be calculated. But I need to know the pixel capacity of the field to know if the value will
“fit”.