pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Weird spacing in words
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2016 15:52:19 GMT
Ignore what I wrote yesterday evening. Your content stream excerpt shows
that the spaces are already there. Using Adobe Reader shows the same
problem. Your file is similar to
and I just tested the solution I mentioned there, and here's the result:

===
losses equitably and the outcome of the collaboration must be quantifiably
beneficial to everyone. The objective is to maximise benefits while mini-
mising costs.
===

What I could do is this: add the logic mentioned in that issue as an
option, that is disabled by default. But I won't do it today, because a
release is planned. You could use a snapshot, or build yourself.

Another problem is that I can't come up with a name

setIgnoreHardSpaces ?

setFullSpacesHeuristics ?

Tilman

Am 01.06.2016 um 13:59 schrieb Augusto Ribeiro Silva:
> Hi,
>
> Tweaking the parameters didn’t help.
> Here is a part of the pdf in question - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2456015/problem.pdf
>
> Best regards,
> Augusto
>
>> On 31 May 2016, at 22:44, Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de> wrote:
>>
>> Looks like a different problem. Assuming you're using the latest version, you might
want to try setting

>> PDFTextStripper.setSpacingTolerance()
>>
>> the default is 0.5f
>>
>> So try some values slightly above or below, i.e. 0.4f, 0.6f, etc.
>>
>> another one is
>>
>> setAverageCharTolerance()
>>
>> the default is 0.3f.
>>
>> Tilman
>>
>> Am 31.05.2016 um 22:36 schrieb Augusto Ribeiro Silva:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> PDFDebugger shows the following.
>>>   (The ) Tj
>>>    22.7679 0 Td
>>>    (es t) Tj
>>>    12.2023 0 Td
>>>    (ab lis) Tj
>>>    20.7981 0 Td
>>>    (h m) Tj
>>>    14.0054 0 Td
>>>    (ent ) Tj
>>>    19.1013 0 Td
>>>    (of ) Tj
>>>    14.83369 0 Td
>>>    (an ) Tj
>>>    16.0359 0 Td
>>>    (in te gr) Tj
>>>    25.72701 0 Td
>>>    (ate) Tj
>>>    12.80299 0 Td
>>>    (d ) Tj
>>>
>>> I am not sure if it is the same problem. I will try to get permission to upload
the document somewhere tomorrow.

>>> Best regards,
>>> Augusto

seems like it inserts some weird (hyphen-like) spacing. I get the same result using the PDFBox-App
command line util.

age ment (PRM) sys tem can po ten tially ad dress sev eral as pets

line utility it extracts the text correctly:
system can potentially address several aspects

to fixing it? I am using TIKA but as I understood TIKA uses PDFBox for PDF processing underneath.