pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Schneider <schneid...@transampiping.com>
Subject RE: ExtractImage TIFF
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:29:45 GMT
Tilman

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried a couple of times to find the jai_imageio.jar
file to download to our server with no success. Where can you get this file to download?

Gord

-----Original Message-----
From: Tilman Hausherr [mailto:THausherr@t-online.de]
Sent: June 20, 2016 11:13 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: ExtractImage TIFF

Am 20.06.2016 um 23:35 schrieb Gordon Schneider:
> I am using the PDFBox 2.0.2 ExtractImage command. I get the message "No ImageWrite found
for 'tiff' format". Are there any intentions of adding the ability to extract a tiff image
in the future?

The message means that you should add jai_imageio.jar in your classpath, see the dependencies
page. That jar is not included due to license reasons.

In theory, we could bundle the twelvemonkeys package, but the "write tiff part" hasn't been
tested yet by us (although it's probably good).

Technically, there is no "ability to extract tiff images" because there are no tiff images
in PDFs (unless maybe as file attachments). There are images that are compressed in a CCITT
format that is very similar to the compression format used in TIFFs but without TIIFF header.
We have been able to extract these for years (coincidentally, we are now using two modified
files from twelvemonkeys), and offer to save these as tiff because TIFF has the best compression
format for b/w images.

I hope this answer the question somewhat...

Tilman