pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: Setting base font from name as string
Date Sun, 22 May 2016 22:08:38 GMT

> On 20 May 2016, at 10:16, Peter Prusi <peter.prusi@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Not exactly. In my case, I dont know which font should be used. I am getting a string
which respresents the font name. For example I could make a big switch/case block:

>        switch (fontName) {
>        case "HELVETICA":
>            PDFont font = PDType1Font.HELVETICA;
>            break;
> …
> }

Yes, you should do that.

> with 14 cases, one for each available font, but I think there is a nicer way to do this
:-) In 1.8 I could simply pass the font name to PDType1Font constructor, but in 2.0 I dont
see this option.

You could also pass garbage to the PDType1Font constructor and PDFBox would either produce
broken PDFs or crash. The above method prevents this.

— John

> Am 20.05.2016 um 18:44 schrieb Tilman Hausherr:
>> Just use the static variables, e.g. PDType1Font.HELVETICA. Is this what you had in
mind?

>> Tilman
>>
>> Am 20.05.2016 um 18:42 schrieb Peter Prusi:
>>> No, I like to use one of the 14 fonts defined in PDType1Font class. In version
1.8 it was possible to pass a font name to the PDType1Font constructor (PDType1Font(String
baseFont)) to create a PDType1Font object with given name. In version 2.0 this constructor
is private. In 1.8 I see also a function getStandardFont(String name), which returns the PDType1Font
object with the passed string.

>>> I am looking for something like this in version 2.0.

there is a constructor for this purpose: PDType1Font(String baseFont), but only private accessible.