pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Peter Prusinowski <peter.pr...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Setting base font from name as string
Date Tue, 24 May 2016 06:00:15 GMT
Okay, thank you guys

Am 23.05.2016 um 00:08 schrieb John Hewson:
>> On 20 May 2016, at 10:16, Peter Prusi <peter.prusi@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Not exactly. In my case, I dont know which font should be used. I am getting a string
which respresents the font name. For example I could make a big switch/case block:

>>         switch (fontName) {
>>         case "HELVETICA":
>>             PDFont font = PDType1Font.HELVETICA;
>>             break;
>> …
>> }
> Yes, you should do that.
>
>> with 14 cases, one for each available font, but I think there is a nicer way to do
this :-) In 1.8 I could simply pass the font name to PDType1Font constructor, but in 2.0 I
dont see this option.
> You could also pass garbage to the PDType1Font constructor and PDFBox would either produce
broken PDFs or crash. The above method prevents this.

> — John
>
>> Am 20.05.2016 um 18:44 schrieb Tilman Hausherr:
>>> Just use the static variables, e.g. PDType1Font.HELVETICA. Is this what you had
in mind?

>>> Tilman

1.8 it was possible to pass a font name to the PDType1Font constructor (PDType1Font(String
baseFont)) to create a PDType1Font object with given name. In version 2.0 this constructor
is private. In 1.8 I see also a function getStandardFont(String name), which returns the PDType1Font
object with the passed string.

class, there is a constructor for this purpose: PDType1Font(String baseFont), but only private
accessible.