pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: unmappable character for encoding Cp1252
Date Wed, 11 May 2016 19:15:07 GMT

> On 9 May 2016, at 03:51, Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> Am 09.05.2016 um 12:38 schrieb Macamba:
>> Tilman,
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback. For this example I'm using 2.0. It does not work with 1.8.
Is the ' LiberationSans-Regular file from the source code download' different from the one
I downloaded it from (http://www.dafont.com/liberation-sans.font)? The code broke on the following
line:

> I don't know if it is different. dafont.com is not a good source for that font. Better
look at
> https://fedorahosted.org/liberation-fonts/
>
> but obviously the first source should be the pdfbox source download, because it was tested
with that one.

Yes, please use the LiberationSans-Regular.ttf that ships with PDFBox, not some other one
from the internet.

— John

>>         stream.showText("English русский язык Tiếng Việt");
>>
>> Other than that I do not know on what character brought the error.
>
> What I meant is that you could delete parts of the text until it works to find out what
character brings the problem. Then decide whether this impacts your application. If it doesn't
=> don't bother. If it does => try again with the font that we offer.

> Tilman
>
>>  But some searching on the internet brought me (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_equivalence)
" the character U+1EBF (ế), used in Vietnamese, has both an acute and a circumflex accent",
the e in Tiếng.

>> Michel

(download) (annotate)". You'll get gibberish, but if you use the view you'll get the "English
русский язык Tiếng Việt" text.

>>> My venerable VI clone on Windows cannot work with that text.
>>>
>>> If I run the right code in Eclipse, however, I get:
>>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No glyph for U+1EBF
in font LiberationSans-Regular
>>> 	at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.PDCIDFontType2.encode(PDCIDFontType2.java:411)
>>> 	at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.PDType0Font.encode(PDType0Font.java:351)
>>> 	at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.PDFont.encode(PDFont.java:286)
>>> 	at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDPageContentStream.showText(PDPageContentStream.java:411)
>>> 	at
>>> org.apache.pdfbox.examples.pdmodel.EmbeddedFonts.main(EmbeddedFonts.ja
>>> va:53)
>>>
>>> Thanks for the input.

pdfbox examples on SVN Apache not working?

Tiếng