pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: Click PDPushButton to Print Filled Form
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2016 16:52:04 GMT
Hi,

> Am 22.04.2016 um 17:56 schrieb Jackie Scholl (NCF) <jackie.scholl15@ncf.edu>:
>
> Hey there,
>
> Firstly, I'd like to apologize if I'm doing something wrong. I don't really understand
this mailing list software or the etiquette for this mailing list, and I'm happy to be corrected.

> I have a PDF document with an Acro Form. The form includes a PDPushButton that a user
can click to print the document once they've filled out the form. The button just opens up
the native OS printing UI to print a version of the document that does not include the print
button. OS X  (and possibly other operating systems) allows a user who's printing a document
to "print" it to a PDF file. If the user does that with this file, then they get basically
the file with all the fields they filled out but it's no longer editable and no longer has
the print button. Is there a way I can automate this process?

> The reason I ask is because I'm building a webapp that will automatically fill out the
form based on user input and return the filled form to the user, and ideally I'd like to be
able to return a document that can't be easily edited and doesn't have that print button.
Is there a way to do this with PDFBox?

if you are using PDFBox 2.x you can use PDAcroForm.flatten() after you have filled the form.
This will make the form fields content part of the page and the form fields will be removed.
For your push button unfortunately there is no immediate solution (see PDFBOX-3262).  What
you could do is to either use PDAcroForm.flatten(List<PDField fields, boolean refreshAppearances)
and include only the fields you'd like to have in the final PDF or before doing the call remove
the push button yourself.

> In case it helps, I've attached three files: the blank, fillable form that we start out
with, a copy of that form filled out by my program with some sample data, and that results
of "printing" that filled form to a PDF.

The attachments were removed as these are not allowed in the mailing list. Please upload them
to a public location if there are further questions.

BR
Maruan

> (Note: despite the name "contract," this is just a form we use at my college to handle
the class registration system.)