pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: 3D object
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2016 09:45:26 GMT
Hi,

> Am 21.04.2016 um 11:20 schrieb Sanchez Pelaez, Valentin <valentin.sanchez@tecnalia.com>:
>
> Thank you Tilman,
>
> I know the creation of the 3d file is not part of PDFBox.
> The problem I try to solve is, given a  U3D file and a previous PDF file, I would like
to insert the U3D model in a predefined place in the PDF.
> I know it is possible because the PDF standard support U3D models. It is just for viewing
the model (not editing).

> The question was if PDFbox library provides this functionality, insertion of 3d models.
> I have also looked for it in the API documentation and it seems it is not include, but
I preferred to ask, just in case…

there is no high level API for that (PDModel) at the moment but the low level API (COSModel)
can be used in combination with existing high level functionalities such as PDAnnotation,
PDStream ... to insert that. The easiest would be to start with a small sample PDF where the
content is embedded and replicate it's structure. 3D Objects have a fair bit of possible settings
but I think you don't have to support all of them but only the ones needed for your application.

BR
Maruan

> Regards,
> Valen

understanding not only of PDF but also of PDFBox. And even then, you would still have to create
the 3D artwork yourself, analog to PDFBox not having paragraphs for texts, there wouldn't
be any high level methods, e.g. bouncing balls or whatever.