pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Olaf Drümmer <olafl...@callassoftware.com>
Subject Re: How can I write JPEG2000 encoded images in PDF?
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2016 07:57:53 GMT
Hi John,

> On 30.03.2016, at 03:16, John Hewson <john@jahewson.com> wrote:
>
> PDF/A is for archiving, and while PDF/A-2 does support JPEG 2000, it's not a good choice
for an archival format, because most JPEG 2000 implementations are broken in some way and
many PDF viewers cannot correctly view such files. It was essentially a failure as a file
format and will be deprecated in PDF 2.0. If the goal of archiving with PDF/A is to produce
reliable files, JPEG 2000 conflicts with that goal.

as a matter of fact JPEG2000 is neither deprecated in PDF 2.0 nor has it been considered for
deprecation in the PDF 2.0 working group (WG 8 at ISO TC 171 SC 2).

In terms of perceived usefulness (and suitability for archival purposes) of of JPEG2000, I
have to say that my impression is that JPEG2000 has strong followers at least in some archival
communities. While implementing a good JPEG2000 compressor can be quite an engineering challenge
and CPU intensive, decompressing JPEG2000 is not overly complex (and archivists' main concern
should be decompression).

Olaf