pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Olaf Drümmer <olafl...@callassoftware.com>
Subject Re: How can I write JPEG2000 encoded images in PDF?
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:34:53 GMT
> On 31.03.2016, at 13:40, John Hewson <john@jahewson.com> wrote:
>

>> 2. What would be your suggestion for non-lossy compression for color images
>> in PDF files? I know LZW is an answer, but the compression is much worst
>> than JPEG2000.
>
> First of all I'd check if a maximum-quality JPEG isn't good enough. It usually is. If
you really need lossless (and as you're archiving you might well do) then PNG is simple and
reliable. There are ways to losslessly optimise the colour palette to reduce file size a bit.
Also make sure you use the right colour space - a b&w raster is 1/3 the size of an RGB
one.

JPEG2000 also lets you do lossless compression.

PNG does not have anything to do with PDF.

Olaf