pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Ternes <KTer...@thegeneral.com>
Subject RE: How to manipulate a pdf object
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:15:52 GMT
Got it.  Whoah!  That is just freaking slick.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tilman Hausherr [mailto:THausherr@t-online.de]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:57 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to manipulate a pdf object

Am 29.03.2016 um 21:21 schrieb Kevin Ternes:
> Thanks guys.
> Also, I meant to add in my last email that I was not able to find the PDFDebugger.
> My best effort was:
>
>     C:\Users\ntiskt02\Downloads>java -jar pdfbox-2.0.0.jar PDFDebugger RenewalFaxCover_MN_MP.pdf
>     no main manifest attribute, in pdfbox-2.0.0.jar

It's a separate download from the download page.

Tilman

> Am I missing something?

that I thought was useful.  I also tried looking at the PDF under Acrobat's preflight.

>> But here is the use case:
>> I have a large number of PDF "templates" that in our usual business process, we use
PDFBox to load, set form field values, add images, merge, flatten, protect, . . .

>> However, it turns out that the specification for many of these templates has changed
so that a piece of text needs to be moved slightly up, a cm to the left and have the font
size changed.  Then there are some places where someone drew lines around hundreds of form
checkboxes!!!  So while I'm at it I'd like to delete those lines and set the form field widgets
to have a border.

>> I wanted to write a quick command line program to do this.
> Likely won't be possible. What I do is to run the WriteDecodedDoc command line utility
and then do the changes manually. However you need to understand the PDF operators and the
sizes of the content streams should not change, i.e. all object positions must stay the same.

> Alternatively, get Acrobat Professional.
>
> Tilman
>
>> I estimate that to do this one-pdf-at-a-time would take 10-20 hours.  That would
not be a problem except that we don't have an intern.

>> Any suggestions appreciated.

and look for individual tokens. But there is no guarantee that, what your are calling a box
of text, is treated like that in the PDF as there is no such concept. E.g. individual lines,
word, characters forming a word ... could be placed individually in different operations.
It even might not be text but a vector or bitmap image. Your best bet is to look into the
content using the PDFDebugger and see if you can identify the parts you are looking for.