pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From "Costas Stergiou" <kst...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: How can I write JPEG2000 encoded images in PDF?
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2016 12:10:13 GMT
>JPEG2000 certainly has its fans, but I'm not one of them. Our experience has been that
we have not found a fully working open-source JPEG2000 decoder. It >remains an open issue
for PDFBox. Couple that with the difficulty of encoding the format means there's a non-zero
chance that you're creating bad archive >files, and combine it with the fact that the reference
implementation itself is broken, the spec is nearly impossible to understand, and the patent
situation is >unclear and you're looking at a pretty risky file format unless you're prepared
to pay for propitiatory encoders/decoders.

This is true. I have to add that the jai encoder (jj2000) is also broken in encoding RGB images
(need to be converted to BGR images), an easy task yet a broken implementation it is.