pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: pdf encryption with aes
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2016 19:16:08 GMT
Am 19.02.2016 um 10:41 schrieb M. Niedermair:
> Hi Tilman,
>
> > It isn't supported.
> ;-(
>
>> 1) use keylength 256 => AES256 will be used
>
> it works.
>
> But I get a warning.
> Feb 19, 2016 10:31:15 AM
> org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.encryption.StandardSecurityHandler
> validatePerms
> WARNUNG: Verification of permissions failed (-60 != -1852)

Thanks, I got these too from time to time, but ignored them due to the
code comment "Relaxed to accomodate buggy encoders". However from your
text I understand that it happened with PDFBox. It is indeed a bug, due
to operator precedence rules. I will fix this in PDFBOX-1594 soon.

> As a side effect my old Adobe Reader filed under Linux, that he is too
> old. Since I have no Windows here, I then installed the Adobe Reader
> under Wine. This makes it possible to open the PDF.
>
> On this occasion I would like to see if you used as Owner password
> null (new StandardProtectionPolicy(null, null, ap)), a PW is randomly
> generated (as it does for example iText).

Sorry, I don't understand you. AES256 does have a random component but
this is a salt.

Tilman