pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: Further questions related to PDFBOX-3216 Issue
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2016 17:06:34 GMT

> On 29 Jan 2016, at 12:55, Sumit Mohan Jha <sumitjhanfl@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>

> The link to PDF with which i am facing trouble is:
> http://www.megafileupload.com/ac8r/Second.pdf
>

> Hi, My this email is related to my further questions related to solution provided by
Tilman for PDFBOX-3216 issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-3216# The solution
provided by Tilman is really good. The solution is working for some of PDF I am trying to
process but was facing some minor issues due to my requirement with some of other PDF processing:
My goal here is to read PDF (multiple PDF with different original formatting and page size)
and in each page of individual PDF leave some fixed absolute blank space in top right corner
so that later some other application can put a bar code in that blank space. Also, that some
fixed absolute blank space left in top portion of PDF pages need to be uniform across all
the different source PDF file processed, so that other application which is putting bar code
will put same size bar code at same location of different PDFs. I understand that if some
PDF will already have some more blank space in top compared to other PDF then converted PDF
for first will have more blank space in top compared to other. That is fine. But how to ensure
that after conversion both PDF will leave at least some fixed absolute height area blank.
If one is more than that absolute fixed height it is ok. Now, to keep uniform blank space
in all PDF processed, I had come up with a sample code. Please see attached .java file for
my sample code. I have used Tilman sample code provided to come up with my sample code.
Please see attached some of my example source pdf files which I need to process through PDFBOX
1.8.10 version and leave blank space at top in all these PDFs. The challenge here now is to
keep uniform some fixed absolute height area blank in top of these 2 PDFs which are of different
source formatting. 1. My code work fine with attached First.pdf. 2. But when I am trying to
process Second.pdf, if I scale to 95% height only the converted PDF is good. But with 90%
converted PDF the content is truncated from bottom. For even less than 90% scaling (like 80%)
the converted pdf has blank page. If I scale in width anything less than 100% the converted
PDF is messed up. In the current code the converted PDF is messing up due to width scaling.
For height it is leaving space in top. But it does not seems to be ensuring that blank space
in both converted PDF is at least some fixed absolute height area. In second one it is quite
less. What i need is a solution so that my converted pdfs after scaling in height for both
these source pdfs will leave at least some fixed absolute height area blank. As I explained
earlier if one is leaving more than that fix absolute height is ok as source file already
had more blank space at top. If a little width scaling can be done too it will be great as
some source pdf which has text strating from at the very left margin will also look good after
conversion. But top priority is vertical scaling to leave blank space in top. 3. Also, with
my current code execution, i get below warning message, please let me know how this warning
message can be avoided: Jan 28, 2016 5:49:29 PM org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.edit.PDPageContentStream
<init>WARNING: You are overwriting an existing content, you should use the append mode
Your any help in this regard will be highly appreciated and I am looking forward for your
response on this. Thanks,Sumit Jha

What you could do is embed each page of the original PDF as a PDFormXObject, which is similar
to an <iframe> in HTML, if you’re familiar with that. Then you can position the Form
XObject where you wish on the page, and set its
scaling and crop box.

— John