pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tres Finocchiaro <tres.finocchi...@gmail.com>
Subject High res vs. vector
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2016 15:44:53 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to determine the best way to achieve high resolution PDF
printing with PDFBOX 2.0.

Our programmer recently wrote some logic to use PDFPrintable but I noticed
the fonts were rasterized, so I started converting the code to use
PDFPageable instead (since we had upgraded from a system which used
silentPrint()).  However, I'm having mixed results.

What I've found is:

   - When DPI (such as 600dpi) is provided as a parameter to PDFPageable,
   the images render much nicer, but the fonts get rasterized.
      - Rasterizing the fonts seems to make the print job much, much larger.
      - Rasterizing the fonts is observable at a high zoom factor (not
      observable to the naked eye).
   - When the default DPI is provided (AFAIK, Zero, or simply omitted), the
   images render quite grainy, but the fonts appear vector.

To be able to represent this visually, I've taken the following picture of
a rendering done using each approach and sent to the XPS Document writer:

http://i.imgur.com/JlTpGht.png

The PDF we're using is available for preview and download here:

https://github.com/qzind/qz-print/blob/2.0/assets/pdf_sample.pdf

So the question is, why does a higher DPI have a negative effect on
rendering?  Are we not using this improperly?  Thanks in advance!

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com