pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Sridhar So <sridhar...@tcs.com>
Subject Re: Performance Issue with 2.0.0 SNAPSHOT latest builds
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2015 13:31:28 GMT
Dear PDFBox team

Thanks for your response to below query.

I set the Java property value pdfbox.fontcache to JDK lib directory where fonts are ther  (
D:\\Softwares\\Java\\jre7\\lib\\fonts ).
I set the java property within the code before PDFBox API calls using
System.setProperty("pdfbox.fontcache", "D:\\Softwares\\Java\\jre7\\lib\\fonts") ;
First time execution it took 140sec and created the cache file .pdfbox in the given directory
Subsequent time it took same 24 to 60 secs and no improvement in performance.
The difference noticed was, earlier  .pdfbox file was created in user.home directory, now
given directory but on performance side no noticable difference.

My OS is MS Windows 7 home basic, since the user id has admin privilage, did not have admin
issue.
In another machine/work machine with admin user id/prvilage, PDFBox could create font cache,
but the performance was slow ( 30 sec + )

We use only Ariel and Time New Roman.
If the default font is chosen as Ariel in 1.8.10 code, that should be fine as 1.8.10 has performance,
but fonts are lighter.
Alternatively if 2.0.0  is optimized for performance, that will be great.

FYI
PDF file ( redireting the print to MS XPS Printer type file ), the size of PDF file generated
in 1.8.10 is about 151 KB, whereas the size of PDF file created using 2.0 is 1152 KB ( about
10 times larger ).
It job.print() which takes lot of time.  Time profile output below

System.getproperty of pdfbox.fontcache = D:\Softwares\Java\jre7\lib\fonts
System.getproperty of user.home = C:\Users\Rangarajan
Nov 14, 2015 6:58:22 PM org.apache.pdfbox.cos.COSDocument finalize
WARNING: Warning: You did not close a PDF Document
 PDDocument load time = 30ms PrinterJob creation time = 10ms job.setPageable ( new PDFPageable(pdDocument)
time = 0ms job.print(); Printing Time =  58129ms Total time = 58.169 seconds

Regards
Sridhar Sowmiyanarayanan
Tata Consultancy Services
Website: http://www.tcs.com