pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tres Finocchiaro <tres.finocchi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shell Can't Find pdfbox
Date Sun, 08 Nov 2015 15:00:13 GMT
If you are using PDFBOX as a standalone plugin, I would advise against
installing this to "~/Library/Java/Extensions" and instead running it from
absolute path as recommended by the wiki as well as the developers.  (The
wiki may be vague about this, but "java -jar" is an example all Java
projects use casually since it has been this way for a very long time)

If you have a problem with the way a JAR file is executed on the command
line, that should be taken up with Oracle or OpenJDK.  From where I'm
standing, the documentation is correct and I see no evidence to illustrate
"/usr/local/bin/" was ever suggested anywhere by anyone.

The easiest way to comprehend how JARs are run is to treat them as a
document that needs to be opened (since they are zip files).  Don't treat
then as an application from a POSIX perspective, it will only confuse you.
Don't think they are an executable command -- they are not.

In regards to WHERE to put this, I'd like to reiterate that the part about
"~/Library/Java/Extensions" is misleading for a few reasons.... Main one
being -- if you aren't using PDBOX in any other Java applications you
should be careful not to expose it as an extension to your computer (in
this case to the current user), because if you use other Java software
which calls upon PDFBOX (most of us on the list hell author such software),
you may find yourself using one different than what was intended by the
developer.  i.e. make a directory YOU maintain and keep it there. :)

So, put it in a safe place you maintain and that should cause the least
amount of friction with other 3rd party programs.  That's my advice. :)