pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: Performance Issue with 2.0.0 SNAPSHOT latest builds
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2015 23:04:27 GMT
Sridhar,

> On 14 Nov 2015, at 05:31, Sridhar So <sridhar.so@tcs.com> wrote:
>
> Dear PDFBox team
>
> Thanks for your response to below query.
>
> I set the Java property value pdfbox.fontcache to JDK lib directory where fonts are ther
 ( D:\\Softwares\\Java\\jre7\\lib\\fonts ).
> I set the java property within the code before PDFBox API calls using
> System.setProperty("pdfbox.fontcache", "D:\\Softwares\\Java\\jre7\\lib\\fonts") ;
> First time execution it took 140sec and created the cache file .pdfbox in the given directory
> Subsequent time it took same 24 to 60 secs and no improvement in performance.
> The difference noticed was, earlier  .pdfbox file was created in user.home directory,
now given directory but on performance side no noticable difference.

That’s excessively slow - I suspect that there’s something wrong with your machine or
Java configuration, it should be 10x faster than that. Are you using a small JVM heap?

Alternatively, do you have thousands of fonts or something?

Finally, Java’s printing API can be quite slow at times, try rendering to a PNG and see
how fast that is.

> My OS is MS Windows 7 home basic, since the user id has admin privilage, did not have
admin issue.
> In another machine/work machine with admin user id/prvilage, PDFBox could create font
cache, but the performance was slow ( 30 sec + )

> We use only Ariel and Time New Roman.
> If the default font is chosen as Ariel in 1.8.10 code, that should be fine as 1.8.10
has performance, but fonts are lighter.
> Alternatively if 2.0.0  is optimized for performance, that will be great.
>
> FYI
> PDF file ( redireting the print to MS XPS Printer type file ), the size of PDF file generated
in 1.8.10 is about 151 KB, whereas the size of PDF file created using 2.0 is 1152 KB ( about
10 times larger ).
> It job.print() which takes lot of time.  Time profile output below

That’s to be expected, in 1.8 we used Java2D’s built-in font support, but in 2.0 we do
all our own rendering, so each glyph is drawn as a separate path. This was done as Java2D’s
built-in font support is too buggy to be of use to us. So if you’re creating an XPS from
that output, then it’s going to be quite large and not contain any embedded fonts.

> System.getproperty of pdfbox.fontcache = D:\Softwares\Java\jre7\lib\fonts
> System.getproperty of user.home = C:\Users\Rangarajan
> Nov 14, 2015 6:58:22 PM org.apache.pdfbox.cos.COSDocument finalize
> WARNING: Warning: You did not close a PDF Document
>  PDDocument load time = 30ms PrinterJob creation time = 10ms job.setPageable ( new PDFPageable(pdDocument)
time = 0ms job.print(); Printing Time =  58129ms Total time = 58.169 seconds

> Regards
> Sridhar Sowmiyanarayanan
> Tata Consultancy Services
> Website: http://www.tcs.com
> Experience certainty.	IT Services
> Business Solutions
> Consulting

however build 1800 & 1801 requires Admin privilage.
>  Compared to PDFBox version 1.8.10, 2.0.0 SNAPSHOT builds performance is slow   ( 1.8.10
about 13 seconds, but 2.0.0 SNAPSHOT 1800, 1801 takes 30 seconds. )

> [...]

> 			//printWithPaper(pdDocument, "A4") ;
> 			System.out.println ( " PDDocument load time = "  +
> 				String.valueOf(t2 - t1) + " Printing Time =  " + String.valueOf(t3-t2 ) +
> 				" Total time = " + String.valueOf( (t3 - t1)/1000.0 ) + " seconds "  ) ;
>

> Do we have
> Performance fix available in 2.0.0 SNAPSHOTS, if so please give full path and which build?
> Is there a fix available where  Admin privelage is not required?
> Thanks a lot for your reply in advance.
>
> FYI
> ----
> Alignment issue is still there in 2.0.0 and my attempt to adjust alignment using below
code takes lot of time.

> PageFormat pageFormat = new PageFormat();
>         pageFormat.setOrientation(PageFormat.PORTRAIT);
>         Paper paper= pageFormat.getPaper();
>
> 	if ("SLEEK".equalsIgnoreCase(receiptType)) {
>            paperWidth = 3.14;
>             paperHeight = 50;
>         } else if ("LETTER".equalsIgnoreCase(receiptType)) {
>             paperWidth = 8.5;
>             paperHeight = 11;
>         } else if ("LEGAL".equalsIgnoreCase(receiptType)) {
>             paperWidth = 8.5;
>             paperHeight = 14;
>         }
>           else
>         {
>             paperWidth = 8.3;
>             paperHeight = 11.7;
>         }
>
>         paper.setSize(paperWidth * 72.0, paperHeight * 72.0);
>         paper.setImageableArea(-2000, 0, paper.getWidth(), paper.getHeight());
>         pageFormat.setPaper(paper);
>

>         PrinterJob job = PrinterJob.getPrinterJob();
> 	job.setPageable(new PDFPageable(document));ÿ
>
> ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ Book book = new Book();ÿ
> 	book.append(new PDFPrintable(document), getPageFormat(receiptType) , document.getNumberOfPages());ÿ
>
> 	job.setPageable(book);ÿ
> 	job.print();
>

> Regards
> Sridhar Sowmiyanarayanan
> Tata Consultancy Services
> Website: http://www.tcs.com
> Experience certainty.	IT Services
> Business Solutions
> Consulting
>

> -
>
> To:	users@pdfbox.apache.org
> cc:	commits@pdfbox.apache.org
> Subject:	Re: Speedup Font Cache: Performance Issue in PDFBox 2.0.0-RC1
>
> Dear PDFBox Community
>
> Adding Commits, John and Tilman in the mail request
>
> Details are in below mail.
>
> In brief again
>
> In our system, PDF files generated in server and is sent to client and in client applet
code uses PDFBox to print.
> With PDFBox 1.8.10, we have alignment issue as some characters were missing on left side.
> With PDFBox 2.0.0-RC1, we have faced performance issue ( slow )
>
> Do we have fix or patch availableÿ
> either in 2.0.0-RC1 for performance ÿOR
> alignment issue in 1.8.10
> Our PDF documents uses True Type Fonts, mostly Ariel Unicode

the page to subscribe, hence a seperate mail on similar/same issue discussed.

> Issue:
> -------ÿ
> PDFBox2.0.0-RC1 is very slow in printinng ( taking 35 to 50 seconds ) ÿas it tries to
load fonts each time with the following message

> WARNING: New fonts found, font cache will be re-built
> Nov 12, 2015 3:17:26 PM org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.FileSystemFontProvider <init>
> WARNING: Building font cache, this may take a while
> Nov 12, 2015 3:17:32 PM org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.FileSystemFontProvider saveCache
> WARNING: Finished building font cache, found 522 fonts
>

> Is the fix or patch available to avoid slow performance due to above ( rebuilding font
cache ÿevery tme ) ?ÿ
> If the fix not available in 2.0.0-RC1,ÿIs there any way to fix alignment issue in PDFBox
1.8.10? as 1.8.10 left margin is too low and first few characters are found cut in printout.

> With PDFBox1.8.10, there is no performance issue, but alignment in prontout is not proper.
ÿÿ
> With PDFBox 2.0.0-RC1, we are facing performance issue.
>
> PDFDocument used has Ariel ÿUnicode or True Type Fonts.ÿ
>
> Similar discussion thread is pasted below, as I was unable to reply to same discussion
thread, nor able to subscribe to users mailing list, hence a seperate mail.