pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Levi <drjle...@aol.com>
Subject Re: Shell Can't Find pdfbox
Date Sun, 08 Nov 2015 16:59:39 GMT
Thanks to all, I will put pdfbox in a separate directory and just have java open it using the
full path (still don't understand why the -classpath option didn't work, although it's academic,
since using it involves typing in the jar's full path and doesn't save time/space). I get
your point about a .jar not being an executable; many thanks again.

jl

-----Original Message-----
From: Tres Finocchiaro <tres.finocchiaro@gmail.com>
To: users <users@pdfbox.apache.org>
Sent: Sun, Nov 8, 2015 10:00 am
Subject: Re: Shell Can't Find pdfbox

If you are using PDFBOX as a standalone plugin, I would advise
against
installing this to "~/Library/Java/Extensions" and instead running it
from
absolute path as recommended by the wiki as well as the developers.
(The
wiki may be vague about this, but "java -jar" is an example all
Java
projects use casually since it has been this way for a very long
time)

If you have a problem with the way a JAR file is executed on the
command
line, that should be taken up with Oracle or OpenJDK.  From where
I'm
standing, the documentation is correct and I see no evidence to
illustrate
"/usr/local/bin/" was ever suggested anywhere by anyone.

The
easiest way to comprehend how JARs are run is to treat them as a
document that
needs to be opened (since they are zip files).  Don't treat
then as an
application from a POSIX perspective, it will only confuse you.
Don't think
they are an executable command -- they are not.

In regards to WHERE to put
this, I'd like to reiterate that the part about
"~/Library/Java/Extensions" is
misleading for a few reasons.... Main one
being -- if you aren't using PDBOX in
any other Java applications you
should be careful not to expose it as an
extension to your computer (in
this case to the current user), because if you
use other Java software
which calls upon PDFBOX (most of us on the list hell
author such software),
you may find yourself using one different than what was
intended by the
developer.  i.e. make a directory YOU maintain and keep it
there. :)

So, put it in a safe place you maintain and that should cause the
least
amount of friction with other 3rd party programs.  That's my advice. :)