pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: Speedup Font Cache
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2015 22:35:06 GMT
Yes, I’m able to replicate that issue on Windows. It’s apparently related to administrator
ownership of that registry key’s parent node. Looks like it’ll be necessary to log in
as admin and create that key with user access. I guess that’s far from ideal?

— John

> On 20 Oct 2015, at 07:41, Pascal Burkhardt <pascalburkhardt@mail.de> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> thanks for reply.
>
> It sounds like there is a problem to read from the saved file, because this log-message
is previous: "java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init> - WARNING: Could not open/create
prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned
error code 5."

> I run the app from eclipse during development.
>
> Thanks so far,
> Pascal
>

> Am 20.10.2015 um 16:15 schrieb John Hewson:
>> Hi, Pascal,
>>
>> There’s no way to disable the cache as PDFBox needs to examine each font on the
system before it can perform font substitution. However, the cache should be saved to disk
but it if you’re seeing that message each time you’re running PDFBox then it sounds like
either the cache write has failed or you’re running in an ephemeral environment, such as
a Docker container. Are either of these likely to be true?

>> Just to provide a little more detail: the cache contains metadata for every font
on the system and is persisted to disk precisely because it’s too slow for PDFBox to examine
every system font every time its initialised. If the cache is not persisted, you pay that
full time cost each time you use PDFBox.

>> — John
>>
>>> On 20 Oct 2015, at 06:49, Pascal Burkhardt <pascalburkhardt@mail.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i upgrade from 1.8.10 to 2.0.0-RC1.
>>>
>>> When i start to create a pdf with pdfbox 2.0.0-RC1 now the log-message appears:
"WARNING: Building font cache, this may take a while". To Create a Font Cache it takes quite
a long time...(2-3sec.). To create a simple pdf-page this is quite long...

>>> Is there a way to disable the font cache or to speed up this process? Can i load
the font cache on startup of my application, so that when a user requests a pdf it renders
quickly (and do not have to init the cache?) or is there another possibility?