pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Ternes <KTer...@thegeneral.com>
Subject RE: PDDocument unreadable in Acrobat 7 after simple load/save
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2015 18:35:24 GMT
If I open either the source or the generated file with Acrobat Reader XI, the properties say
that the file is a 1.6 (Acrobat 7) PDF.

I can also use Acrobat Reader XI to make a small change OR actually downgrade the generated
file to a 1.5 (Acrobat 6) PDF, save it, and in either case we can read it with Reader 7.

However, if I use Acrobat XI to change or downgrade the _source_ file and then generate another
file through PDFBox as shown below, then that generated file cannot be opened by this user's
installation of Reader 7.

Yes, we have this problem either opening the file from the disc (ie: saving it to a file in
a folder and double-clicking) or when generated and streamed by a servlet and then opened
by an IE web browser in Reader.

Yes, it always happens for both installations of Acrobat 7 Reader that we have tested.  (Windows
7 64-bit and Windows 10 64-bit).

Yes, the problem is apparent for a number of different source and generated PDF files we have
tried.

-----Original Message-----
From: Maruan Sahyoun [mailto:sahyoun@fileaffairs.de]
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 11:00 AM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: PDDocument unreadable in Acrobat 7 after simple load/save

Hi,

could you save the file in Adobe Acrobat as version 1.6 file and check if that can be opened
without issues? Is the user opening the file from disc? Does that always happen for her installation?

BR
Maruan

> Am 12.10.2015 um 17:48 schrieb Kevin Ternes <KTernes@thegeneral.com>:
>
> Does anyone have any feedback for me on this problem?
> Should PDFBox 2 generate output that Reader 7 can open?
> Should I open a Jira issue for this?

the input and output file with Acrobat Reader XI.
> According to Acrobat Reader for both input and output documents, PDF Version 1.6 (Acrobat
7.x)

> I have a user reporting that she can open the input file, but cannot open the output
version of that file.
> She gets a popup on the processed file from Acrobat saying "There was an error opening
this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired."