pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: Traversing and filling a PDF with 2.0
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2015 07:00:52 GMT
Hi,

> Am 29.10.2015 um 07:53 schrieb Rodney Kite <rkite01@yahoo.com.INVALID>:
>
> Not sure if there is a form object under a PDField?   I found this which looks similar.

no, it's PDAcroForm.getFieldTree().

If you'd like to do the iteration similar to the old 1.8 API use

PDAcroForm.getFields()
check if the PDFields returned are PDNonTerminalField
if yes, use PDNonTerminalField.getChildren()
…

I'll add a sample of doing it both ways later today but the preferred API is to use PDAcroForm.getFieldTree().

BR
Maruan

> List<PDField> kids = ((PDNonTerminalField)pdField).getChildren();

to open a blank goverment PDF and fill out fields while walking the document like a DOM tree.

>> So I have been using PDField.getKids() a lot to traverse the document.
>
> you can use
>
> for (PDField field : form.getFieldTree())
> {
>

> ... (do something)
> }
>
> BR
> Maruan
>

>> Can this still be done?  Is there an example on how to do it?  I have looked at the
examples with the source but only see getting a field by name and setting it in the SetField.java
example.