pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Gary Grosso <gary.gro...@oberontech.com>
Subject RE: How to make the PDF document open with the Navigation Pane open?
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2015 13:16:05 GMT

PDFDebugger && exit

Best regards,
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Tilman Hausherr [mailto:THausherr@t-online.de]
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 11:39 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to make the PDF document open with the Navigation Pane open?

Am 29.10.2015 um 03:07 schrieb Gary Grosso:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I very much appreciate Maruan's reply (thanks Maruan), but our customer is suggesting
there should be some other way to do this.

> The reasoning is as follows:
>
> Using Acrobat, it is possible to go to File->Properties and then to the Initial View
tab; set the Navigation tab value to Bookmarks Panel and Page, and save the file. After which
this PDF file opens with the navigation pane open, and the bookmarks displayed.

> It is possible to view a small PDF file before and after this procedure was performed,
at:

> http://aapro.net/bookmarktest/
>
> The end users will be opening PDF files in Internet Explorer, but the experience is basically
the same when I open them in Reader.

> I would be very interested in any insight anyone can provide. While I was able to add
bookmarks to a PDF file (with help from this forum), I don't have any tools or expertise for
examining the insides of a PDF file, to find out what is different between these two files.

use PDFDebugger:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/pdfbox/pdfbox-debugger/2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/

that helped me find it - in 1.8 use

doc.getDocumentCatalog().setPageMode(PAGE_MODE_USE_OUTLINES);

(never heard of that one before, but PDF has a surprise every day)

Tilman

> Thanks,
> Gary

inject a JavaScript which is executed when the document opens. As short sample for such JavaScript
is available in the examples package for PDFBox 2.0.0 under org.apache.pdfbox.examples.interactive.form.UpdateFieldOnDocumentOpen.

> The issue with executing menu items is that this is a restricted function so it might
be available if the PDF is not certified. Lookup the function execMenuItem in the Acrobat
SDK JavaScript Reference.

> BR
> Maruan
>

>> Am 21.10.2015 um 18:17 schrieb Gary Grosso <gary.grosso@oberontech.com>:
>>
>> I am looking for a way to say in a PDF document that it should open with the Navigation
Pane open. Not sure if this is even possible; it may strictly be a user preference.