pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Roberto Nibali <rnib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Speedup Font Cache
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2015 12:10:16 GMT
Hi John

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 12:35 AM, John Hewson <john@jahewson.com> wrote:

> Yes, I’m able to replicate that issue on Windows. It’s apparently related
> to administrator ownership of that registry key’s parent node. Looks like
> it’ll be necessary to log in as admin and create that key with user access.
> I guess that’s far from ideal?

The whole issue also happens on MacOSX. When you introduce this on-disk
cache a couple of months back, it worked fine, however one of the recent
changes to SVN must have wrecked the initially intended functionality. Not
only is the font caching setup 5-10 times as long as it used to be, it also
does not seem to persist it anymore. Version used:

$ svn info | grep -i changed
Last Changed Author: tilman
Last Changed Rev: 1709647
Last Changed Date: 2015-10-20 19:04:02 +0200 (Tue, 20 Oct 2015)

Running my test tool indicates:

Oct 21, 2015 2:08:29 PM
org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.FileSystemFontProvider loadCache
WARNING: New fonts found, font cache will be re-built
Oct 21, 2015 2:08:29 PM
org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.FileSystemFontProvider <init>
WARNING: Building font cache, this may take a while
Oct 21, 2015 2:08:39 PM
org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.FileSystemFontProvider saveCache
WARNING: Finished building font cache, found 654 fonts
[INFO, ctx=./ccalt.pdf]: Opening Source ./ccalt.pdf
[INFO, ctx=./ccalt.pdf]: Opening Template ./cctemp.pdf
[INFO, ctx=./ccalt.pdf]: Writing Output ./ccmig.pdf
[INFO, ctx=./ccalt.pdf]: Completed in 15037.02ms

This used to be anything between 1200ms and 2300ms and once it was
persisted onto disk, it was rather fast in subsequent calls. Unfortunately,
SVN does not provide the handy tool of "git bisect" to quickly find out
which change actually caused this regression.

Let me know if you need any further input.

Cheers
Roberto